Good news from Dr. D and the Friday 5!

So I already had an appointment set up for Tuesday with Dr. McFoot&Ankle, but I am seriously impatient and wanted some answers RIGHT. NOW. Luckily my chiropractor, Dr. D, was able to fit me in yesterday morning. I used to go to Dr. D for the epic, practically immobilizing back and hip pain I experienced right after having Betty and while I can’t really say he fixed my issues (yoga helped more) this time around I am riding the express train to DesperateTown and am willing to try anything to speed up the healing process. Plus, Dr. D is a cool guy – I found out yesterday he has a running background! – and I suspected he would be less likely to tell me that I was going to have to stop running for a very prolonged period of time or try to throw me in a boot.

Long story short, the appointment went well! I still don’t know exactly what’s wrong with me because Dr. D threw a bunch of muculoskeletal medical jargon at me and it went right over my head, but here’s what I gathered from the visit:

• It’s highly unlikely that it’s a stress fracture. Yay!
  • He doesn’t even really think it’s tendonitis. Double yay because that’s what I Dr. Google diagnosed myself with!
  • And that I may have a variety of strains and a possible sprain and maybe something involving a nerve. This is why I went to art school and not medical school.

He adjusted my foot, which didn’t hurt at all and actually felt pretty wonderful. Then I had an ultrasound treatment on my leg that is supposed to break up all the crap in my muscles. Then he taped me up with Rocktape. I walked out of there feeling better than I had felt since before my injury.

HappyDance

I will continue to see him twice a week for the next three weeks. He commended my self-imposed running hiatus, told me that riding the bike was fine, and that we would reevaluate on Monday to see where we are. He told me that next week he might actually want me to attempt to run on it, which shocked me. After that, depending on how I feel, we might schedule an MRI to see if anything else is wrong. Fingers crossed that I won’t need to do that, but he seems to think I’ll be okay for my early March races!

As usual it was at its most painful right when I woke up and depending on how I move it it does hurt a bit, but this morning I realized that I was using my whole foot to walk rather than rolling it in. So I’m hoping that’s some kind of progress. I also had planned on calling my acupuncturist and still do, but wouldn’t you know it, right after I got back from Dr. D, a Living Social deal showed up in my email for a consultation and 2 appointments at this great new, highly reviewed acupuncture place for $20! Whereas one visit with my usual guy runs me around $65. Sorry, Dr. Li.

Have you ever been to a chiropractor? How about an acupuncturist? What did you think?

(I SWEAR by acupuncture!)

DC_linkup

Also today I’m linking up with the awesome DC Trifecta – great blogs! ALL OF THEM! – for the Friday Five! Mar gave me the nicest shout-out over there and it really made my morning (THANK YOU, LADY!). There is no theme this week so I’m just going to throw a couple random thoughts around.

1) Last night we arrived home to Betty’s new baby doll nursery set that I got her for her birthday sitting outside the door. You know how I knew what it was? Because I have psychic powers. And also because it was big and colorfully advertised all over the outside of the box! So then I had to do damage control – while laden like a pack mule with grocery bags, a book bag, gym bag, and purse – to distract her as best as I could so she wouldn’t realize what the package was and want me to open it for her to play with right away. What happened to shipping cartons? Way to try and spoil a kid’s present, Amazon!

2) Although I have a brand new optimistic outlook, it’s still pretty annoying that we have had 50-60 degree weather the past several days (and more on the way) and I can’t run. Even better, Polar Vortex 2: Electric Boogaloo is apparently in the future forecast and I figure it will arrive right in time for me to be able to start running again. C’est la vie.

3) I really want to try on a pair of Mizunos. Comments from the Mizuno-experienced are welcomed! 🙂

4) I think Starbucks might be having a turkey bacon shortage. Yesterday after my workout, I really wanted a turkey bacon breakfast sandwich something terrible. ::WARNING: SIDE EYE ALERT:: So I proceeded to drive to three separate Starbucks in search of one and NO ONE HAD ANY. WTF.

26908-Britney-Spears-WTF-Dafuq-face-O5Db

Then this morning I stopped in for just a coffee and one of the people working there that knows me – because let’s face it…every employee in every Starbucks in a 10 mile vicinity of here knows me – informed me that they are out of turkey bacon sandwiches again today and that they keep ordering them and the sandwiches keep not getting delivered. While that made me feel like an incredible Starbucks junkie (because…yeah), I appreciated the forewarning in case I wanted a sandwich later (because…I kind of did). It made me wonder though. Are ALL the Starbucks ordering them and not receiving them? Do I need to start a Twitter #hashtag about this? #TURKEYBACONHUNT2014?

5) It’s Princess weekend at Disney! Good luck to all you pretty princesses that are running, especially my girl Kristen K and Cynthia of the DC Trifecta! Kick butt, ladies! I can’t wait to see your bling!

I hope everyone has a marvelous weekend! If you haven’t entered the SPIBelt giveaway yet, you’ve got more time! Check out the post here!

~ Salt

32 thoughts on “Good news from Dr. D and the Friday 5!

That is really good news – I have never been one for Chiro or acupuncture, but am glad that you are not facing a more serious injury.

And I totally get what you are saying about the weather … this has been a crazy week and I feel I have been missing out (today should definitely have been 10+ miles for me) and can see sub-zero temps returning next week! Ugh!

2. Meg says:

YAY! So glad you are feeling better after your visit with Dr. D! Damn Amazon!

I’ve noticed that larger items that have their own box/packaging gets shipped just the way it is. Sucks if you are trying to hide a present from a 2 year old, that’s for sure!

We had a couple of nice weather days… now it’s back to crap. And the sidewalks are icy so I might be walking and jogging in place inside today.

I like my Mizunos. Granted, I’ve only been in them a week. I do like them.

I’ll make you a turkey bacon breakfast sandwich! I love turkey bacon!!

And finally, I’m so excited to see updates from the Princess weekend on blogs and Twitter!

I was SO intimidated by acupuncture before I went. Which is weird because I have no fear of needles and a ton of tattoos. But it is seriously the most relaxing thing ever and has helped me with several different issues!

The shortage continues, BTW. No sandwiches at a different Starbucks that I hit up during lunch. I didn’t even want one; I just wanted to see if they had any. What gives?!

3. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

I have never had acupuncture but I bet I would like it. Same for the chiropractor. I always fear that once they start cracking me, they will need to continue that cracking for life. My co-worker goes once a week if not more, and I just figured I’ll deal with my ailments for a while longer.

So happy you got some positive news about your injury!!! I will keep sending healthy vibes your way.

Turkey Bacon Shortage seems so odd. If they can have it at the stores they can get it at Starbucks. Rudness Starbucks main center for shipping!

That’s great that you’re feeling better after the chiropractor visit. I’ve never been to one, knock on wood! And I hate when they ship things in boxes that announce the contents 😦 Either they’ve never heard of surprises or they’re trying to force us to buy the gift wrapping option!

Hmmm maybe you are on to something with the gift wrapping option! Not that I would want them to do that for me, but it would make sense since they do have that box to check a lot of the time asking if it’s a gift! Ugh I want to wrap my own gifts!!

lol.. the side eye, love it. I have never tried acupuncture but want to! Gald there is some good news and relief from the doctor. I just realized you’re in the general vicinity, we should meet up sometime!

6. Lindsey says:

Haha, I’m not allowed to use webMD (and especially not petMD!) because I usually end up diagnosing me and the pup with terrible diseases and get extra paranoid. I have enough anxiety without the sites telling me of my impending doom 🙂

• OneMotherofaDay says:

I didn’t know there was a PetMD! I was just wondering if they did just last night cuz our dog was acting a little strange…..probably wouldn’t be good to look at it though, like you I would just become super paranoid 🙂

I had no idea there was a PetMD either! I’m staying far away from that too though. I’ve got a couple of wily cats that I’ll diagnose with just about everything!

7. OneMotherofaDay says:

Hi! I found your blog through the Friday Five link-up! I love that I am finding all these new-to-me blogs! I may have to get my act together and link-up for next Friday! I love your whole Starbucks story! I feel like that is me not about the turkey bacon but I will drive to 3 separate Starbucks , drive-thru only due to the 2 yr old in the back, if the lines are too long and I am determined to get my iced caramel macchiato. There was one time last weekend where I went to starbucks and ordered my normal drink and I forgot to tell them “iced” and I got “hot” and I didn’t say anything when I got ot the window cuz there was a long line behind and I didn’t want to be “that guy” so, I took my wrong drink with a smile and then after pulling away I almost burst into tears cuz I got it hot and not iced! sorry that is super long! I take my coffee very seriously 🙂 Love your blog by the way!

You should!! This was my first link up with them and I think I’ll be back next week! It’s fun!

You are so lucky you have multiple drive thru options! There is only one around here with a drive thru and it’s kind of far away so I usually end up at every one that doesn’t have a drive thru. Okay on work days but on weekends when my daughter is with me? Not so much. I think I would have practically cried too. You were so nice to take the drink! I probably would have been that guy hahaha.

Thank you so much! I’m so glad you found me!

8. Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC says:

That’s excellent news from the doc! Glad to hear it. I ran in Mizunos for my first marathon (and all the training) and was very happy. Now I’m running in Adidas Glide Boosts and they are great as well. I almost bought a new pair of Mizunos in lieu of the Adidas but I thought I’d try something new.

I was in Sauconys when I started out and then moved on to Brooks, which I love, but I also like trying new things. Brand loyalty can be cool but you never know what you might miss out on that way!

Such good news! Here’s to hoping for a speedy recovery! I go to my chiro all the time! I want to visit an acu but haven’t yet. I hope for your sake that this isn’t the beginning of the great turkey bacon famine!

It’s definitely hard and I am definitely in denial of getting older. He really did work some magic though! I kind of wish I still had an appointment with him today! (He doesn’t want to see me until Monday now.)

Awww yay that’s me! I’m catching up on blog posts since I just got back yesterday so thanks for the shoutout! I will have a massive recap up tomorrow! And yay for your foot! I think it’s good you found a doctor who is also a runner because they’re more likely to keep you running and not try to stop you like you said. I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better!

I’m on my way over now to read your racap! 🙂
      And thank you so much friend! A little sore today so I’m laying off today and tomorrow. I really want to be back in fighting shape next weekend!

11. Cynthia @ You Signed Up For WHAT?! says:

First, you’re hilarious. Second, thanks for the good wishes on the Glass Slipper weekend! I’m finally catching up on all the Friday 5 posts, because I was soooo behind from traveling! So: Mizunos. Started wearing them last year and I really do like them. Having good success with the Wave Inspire 10s after wearing the 9’s for maybe a year or so? I’ve tried Saucony, Ascics, etc. – nothing seems perfect to me but I like that it’s going well with the Mizunos and am afraid to change it up even though I have brand new Altras sitting and waiting for me.

Haha thank you and likewise (about the hilarious thing).
      am really liking the Mizunos so far, but I’m always thinking…is there a better shoe for me out there? I guess we will see. In the meantime I just need to get these new ones broken in!