So I already had an appointment set up for Tuesday with Dr. McFoot&Ankle, but I am seriously impatient and wanted some answers RIGHT. NOW. Luckily my chiropractor, Dr. D, was able to fit me in yesterday morning. I used to go to Dr. D for the epic, practically immobilizing back and hip pain I experienced right after having Betty and while I can’t really say he fixed my issues (yoga helped more) this time around I am riding the express train to DesperateTown and am willing to try anything to speed up the healing process. Plus, Dr. D is a cool guy – I found out yesterday he has a running background! – and I suspected he would be less likely to tell me that I was going to have to stop running for a very prolonged period of time or try to throw me in a boot.
Long story short, the appointment went well! I still don’t know exactly what’s wrong with me because Dr. D threw a bunch of muculoskeletal medical jargon at me and it went right over my head, but here’s what I gathered from the visit:
- It’s highly unlikely that it’s a stress fracture. Yay!
- He doesn’t even really think it’s tendonitis. Double yay because that’s what I Dr. Google diagnosed myself with!
- And that I may have a variety of strains and a possible sprain and maybe something involving a nerve. This is why I went to art school and not medical school.
He adjusted my foot, which didn’t hurt at all and actually felt pretty wonderful. Then I had an ultrasound treatment on my leg that is supposed to break up all the crap in my muscles. Then he taped me up with Rocktape. I walked out of there feeling better than I had felt since before my injury.
I will continue to see him twice a week for the next three weeks. He commended my self-imposed running hiatus, told me that riding the bike was fine, and that we would reevaluate on Monday to see where we are. He told me that next week he might actually want me to attempt to run on it, which shocked me. After that, depending on how I feel, we might schedule an MRI to see if anything else is wrong. Fingers crossed that I won’t need to do that, but he seems to think I’ll be okay for my early March races!
As usual it was at its most painful right when I woke up and depending on how I move it it does hurt a bit, but this morning I realized that I was using my whole foot to walk rather than rolling it in. So I’m hoping that’s some kind of progress. I also had planned on calling my acupuncturist and still do, but wouldn’t you know it, right after I got back from Dr. D, a Living Social deal showed up in my email for a consultation and 2 appointments at this great new, highly reviewed acupuncture place for $20! Whereas one visit with my usual guy runs me around $65. Sorry, Dr. Li.
Have you ever been to a chiropractor? How about an acupuncturist? What did you think?
(I SWEAR by acupuncture!)
Also today I’m linking up with the awesome DC Trifecta – great blogs! ALL OF THEM! – for the Friday Five! Mar gave me the nicest shout-out over there and it really made my morning (THANK YOU, LADY!). There is no theme this week so I’m just going to throw a couple random thoughts around.
1) Last night we arrived home to Betty’s new baby doll nursery set that I got her for her birthday sitting outside the door. You know how I knew what it was? Because I have psychic powers. And also because it was big and colorfully advertised all over the outside of the box! So then I had to do damage control – while laden like a pack mule with grocery bags, a book bag, gym bag, and purse – to distract her as best as I could so she wouldn’t realize what the package was and want me to open it for her to play with right away. What happened to shipping cartons? Way to try and spoil a kid’s present, Amazon!
2) Although I have a brand new optimistic outlook, it’s still pretty annoying that we have had 50-60 degree weather the past several days (and more on the way) and I can’t run. Even better, Polar Vortex 2: Electric Boogaloo is apparently in the future forecast and I figure it will arrive right in time for me to be able to start running again. C’est la vie.
3) I really want to try on a pair of Mizunos. Comments from the Mizuno-experienced are welcomed! 🙂
4) I think Starbucks might be having a turkey bacon shortage. Yesterday after my workout, I really wanted a turkey bacon breakfast sandwich something terrible. ::WARNING: SIDE EYE ALERT:: So I proceeded to drive to three separate Starbucks in search of one and NO ONE HAD ANY. WTF.
Then this morning I stopped in for just a coffee and one of the people working there that knows me – because let’s face it…every employee in every Starbucks in a 10 mile vicinity of here knows me – informed me that they are out of turkey bacon sandwiches again today and that they keep ordering them and the sandwiches keep not getting delivered. While that made me feel like an incredible Starbucks junkie (because…yeah), I appreciated the forewarning in case I wanted a sandwich later (because…I kind of did). It made me wonder though. Are ALL the Starbucks ordering them and not receiving them? Do I need to start a Twitter #hashtag about this? #TURKEYBACONHUNT2014?
5) It’s Princess weekend at Disney! Good luck to all you pretty princesses that are running, especially my girl Kristen K and Cynthia of the DC Trifecta! Kick butt, ladies! I can’t wait to see your bling!
I hope everyone has a marvelous weekend! If you haven’t entered the SPIBelt giveaway yet, you’ve got more time! Check out the post here!