Tickets to the gun show. {Arm workout}

Yesterday I made a very sobering realization. Despite the slow, but not-terribly-painful 5 miles on the treadmill I got in on Monday, I need to stop kidding myself. I AM injured. My leg does hurt. Not like “I need to down half a bottle of Advil” hurt or “I can’t put any weight on it at all” hurt, but it is sore. I’m about 92% sure I know what the problem is too, but more on that later once I have confirmation. I have an appointment with the foot & ankle doc on Tuesday. In the meantime, I’ve made the very difficult – but I’m sure also very wise – decision to not run. This will mean a lot of cross training through yoga, riding the bike, and strength training my core and upper body.

I thought today I might post up one of my favorite upper body workouts. I don’t know if I would necessarily refer to myself as “ripped” or anything, but I am toned enough that I’ve been asked by quite a few people how I made my arms happen. I am not a heavy lifting gym rat and prefer to do most of my strength using hand weights and my body weight at home after my daughter goes to bed. This has worked out really well for me so far. Not only does it fit effortlessly into my schedule, but – coupled with my cardio workouts and the fact that I’m often carrying around a 30lb 2 year old – it has gotten me some pretty decent muscle definition.

arms

Flex time. These are my arms. My mom HAAAATES them. I think she thinks I look like a dude. I am a little vascular which kind of makes me self-conscious, but it is what it is. I know in gym culture veins are considered cool. Otherwise, I think they are pretty awesome.

And this is a workout that I’ve cooked up. As with every other post I’ve made about fitness, please remember this: I am not a professional. This is just a mish-mash of my favorite arm exercises that I like to do in the comfort and convenience of my living room while watching Ghost Hunters. The only thing you will need is hand weights and if you don’t have any, cans of Spaghetti O’s work too. Or canned vegetables. Bottles filled with water or sand. Two tall boys of Bud Light. The possibilities are endless. Push ups and dips don’t require any weights at all.

wrugsw

The best part about this is that you can make this as easy or difficult as you want it to be. I have a variety of weights that I use ranging from 3 to 8 pounds. Sometimes I will run through this workout once with my 8’s if I’m short on time or a few times with my lighter weights. It’s all about what you are comfortable with. Just take your time and do each exercise slowly. If you have questions as to what any of these exercises looks like, feel free to ask and I’ll point you in the right direction! Happy lifting!

Do you strength train? What is your favorite way to work your arms?

~ Salt

PS. My SPIbelt giveaway is going strong! Have you entered yet? There’s still lots of time! Click HERE for details!

23 thoughts on “Tickets to the gun show. {Arm workout}

1. playfulpups says:

I have been strength training more lately, and in a few short weeks have seen great results! I actually had dinner at my parents the other day and everyone was in awe at my arms- that is great motivations in itself!! I do 3 sets of 30 (7lbs) bicep curls, tricep raises, and arm punches (don’t know what they are technically called lol). I do need to change it up a bit- so I think I’ll try your workout tonight!! Thanks! 🙂

It’s really amazing how quickly the results can come. And definitely a great motivator when other people notice. 🙂 I like doing the punches/jabs as well! Let me know how it goes tonight if you try it out!

Hoping you are feeling better soon and get good news from your doctor … injuries suck!

My upper body workout recently has been shoveling snow in addition to my weekly grocery shopping 🙂

Thank you! I actually called my chiro earlier this afternoon and he is going to see me tomorrow. Depending on what he says/how I am feeling I might set up with my acupuncturist for Friday as well. Trying whatever I can to shorten this recovery time!

Shoveling snow is an AWESOME workout! When we had snowpocalypse a few years ago I could barely lift my arms after shoveling out my car!

3. Andrea says:

Those are some serious guns :). It definitely goes to show that women can build muscle without getting bulky. I do a decent amount of strength training in bootcamp. I’m pretty proud that I can use 12-15 lb weights for some of the exercises. I just need to work on being able to do real pushups!

4. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

LOVE THIS! Your arms are amazing… holy awesome!!!

I think my favorite weight thing IS to work my arms. Sure I know that squats etc will make my bottom look great but my arms are my least favorite part of my body. I still struggle with triceps, mostly because they are the weakest but I love free weights and hate that for years at the gym I never touched them.

Thanks for the tips and routine chica – I might emulate this on my days I work my arms with p90x3. Just for something extra.

Thanks, friendy!! I have a feeling I’m going to be visiting the free weights at the gym a little more frequently over the next few weeks since there is less I can do cardio wise.

Another great exercise for tris is the cobra push up. Cassey Ho on Blogilates does them if you want to try it at home…look up Blogilates Want You Back Arms on YouTube. It’s a really good, short video!

5. Meg says:

I hate that you are down for a bit. BUT, I am glad that you have made the (probably) wise decision to let yourself heal for a while.

Maybe I just need to start carrying around both of my babels. I tried carrying both of them in their car seats recently, that was not fun! My whole body was a bit sore after just a few minutes of that. But then again, I am not the most in-shape person. I sure am getting there though!

Thanks, friend. Carting around a kiddo is definitely great exercise! B was such a giant in her car seat…I can’t even imagine carrying around two! (But at least you know your arms will be even!)

Thank you so much! It is definitely a struggle and I am definitely feeling defeated, but I’m trying to be optimistic. Better that I take a break now than get to a point where I’m really messed up and it’s much harder to recover. This is just for the best.

It’s supposed to be 60 degrees on Friday. I am all in for “sun’s out, guns out”. Even if it’s raining.

And thanks. My chiro was able to fit me in tomorrow morning at 10 so I won’t even have to wait until Tuesday for some answers. Fingers crossed for decent news!

6. Alexis @ funrunning4life says:

Yuck, sorry girl. Totally feeling you on the injury train. I’m hoping mine will feel better after a couple days of rest, but ya never know. Hope the doc has some good news for you! And DAMN are you jacked!! I wish I was better at strength training, but I just don’t like it. I know I need to get over that because it will make me a stronger runner and a healthier person, but I haven’t been able to get into it on a regular basis.

Haha I love the title on this workout! My arms are not strong at all, but I can see a bit of a change after only 1 month at Barre3 so now I’m totally going to try to workout my arms more! Yours look so strong and I’m pretty jealous!

8. OneMotherofaDay says:

Look at those guns! I want guns like yours! I will definitely try out this workout but, first I have to buy some weights. sorry I am totally stalking your whole blog right now, if you are seeing an increase in views than it is because of me. I feel like we are living parallel lives except you are a lot more ripped than me 🙂