I’m baaaaaaack!

My days of shamelessly posting pictures of beaches, palm trees, and short sleeved shirts have come to an end because I’m back in freezing, totally gross Charm City. There’s so much snow here, you guys. And no sidewalks which means a lot of treadmill in my future. Which is probably a good thing anyway because:

lame

Weaksauce. My first injury. If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile, you might know that I did a 61 day run streak recently that I ended because of a nagging pain in my ankle. Well nagging ankle pain eventually became nagging calf muscle pain and now I haven’t run since last Wednesday and am going through a terrible withdrawal. Running is my sanity and it’s pretty devastating to not be able to go to your happy place. Before I started sporting that super stylish purple bandage, I did get 2.65 great runs in while on vacation:

A 5K

5K

A 10K

10K

And most of a half marathon

half

I got about 8 miles into the half when my leg really started screaming and I had to slow waaaaaaaay down. I probably should have quit while I was ahead, but I ended up finishing it in a boatload of pain and haven’t run since. I did spend some time with this scary guy:

IMG_3338

That’s my virtual spin instructor. I never got his name, but he sure was persistent and creepy. And also hung out in the weight room:

IMG_3374

If I look a little exhausted, it’s because I was. And am. Sharing a bed with a 2 year old for a week will do that to you. Also this will be the only time I ever take a weight room selfie. Like no one used the fitness center where I was staying. Not that I’m complaining.

So now I’m back and crossing my fingers that I will be able to jog a couple miles on the treadmill today. I still have my leg wrapped, but it is definitely much improved from how it was feeling at the end of last week. The most painful time is in the morning when I haven’t used it at all for 8 hours.

I hope everyone had a great week! I have so much catching up on my favorite blogs to do now!

Have you ever taken a spin class? How about a virtual spin class? I didn’t even know they existed until last week!

~ Salt

30 thoughts on “I’m baaaaaaack!

1. Sarah says:

I took a spin class once and it was okay – didn’t feel like “my thing” though. I am super interested in your virtual spin trainer thing – I wish my gym had one of those! Now that I’m tri training & can’t ride outside during the week I’d be down for anything to help break up the boring cycle routine at the gym!!!

Hope your treadmill jog isn’t too painful today!

Thanks! I hope so too. I’m so ready to get moving again.
      Yeah the spin guy was weird, but it was a good motivator and definitely more interesting than just hopping on an exercise bike! I wish my gym had them too!

2. Meg says:

I’m glad to hear it’s starting to feel better. I hope you’re back to 100% soon!

I have never taken any kind of spin class. It’s something I’d try once I be back into some kind of shape. I’ll need something to do to cross train!

3. Kristin says:

I hope your leg starts feeling better. It looks like you got some really great runs in, though! Nagging injuries really stink so hopefully you’ll be able to run today and feel that mental stress relieve a little bit.

Definitely sorry to hear you are still hurting – but glad you dialed back and are feeling better slowly. Make sure to get back into things slowly and don’t push too hard.

This winter, yeah – I feel like UGH had become my word of the winter. Sub-zero again today … ugh. 🙂

5. Alexis @ funrunning4life says:

Such a bummer about your injury. Hopefully rest will be enough to get you back on track quickly! Glad to have you back on a regular basis! Hope you can store some of that sun energy to get through the next few weeks of chilly weather. Happy Monday!

It feels good to be back! Vacation was fun, but I missed the blog. I keep hearing we are supposed to have a bit of a warm up this weekend which would be nice for sure! (I’ll make sure to tell everyone that it was all my doing.)

6. Andrea says:

Oh no! Hopefully some rest, ice and stretching will have you back to good in no time! I’ve tried spinning a few times and I’m not a huge fan of it…just like I’m not a fan of the treadmill. I’d rather be outside or at least take a class with more variety and interaction.

Thanks, Andrea! I actually had a pretty good go on the treadmill today and am sitting with the ice now. Guess we will see how it shapes up for the rest of the day, but so far so good!

Spin can be really hit or miss for people. I do agree with you on more variety and interaction! Or just not being stationary in general!

7. ambertherunner says:

Welcome back to Winter…dun dun dun. It’s still a nightmare to pull my car in & out of my parking space thanks to miniature snow mountains between all the parking spaces. Grr.
    I’m sorry about your leg – how frustrating! My fingers are crossed for a quick recovery for you.
    I’m heading to spin class tomorrow morning – so excited for jello-feeling legs afterwards! Also, I’ve never heard of a virtual spin class – amazing, I want to do one.

Just started reading (so I’m working my way backwards) and a) I am sorry for the injury (that you are now in the act of getting PT for) but b) YOU ARE WEARING A SWIRLGEAR SUNNY SHORT SLEEVE!! Are you an ambassador? Because I am! And I have the same shirt 😀 you have good taste.