A new PR, a new swimsuit, and a lucky someone wins a new Bondi Band!

A New PR

Saturday morning was cold with one of those super thin layers of snow on the ground that always seems to make everything extra slippery. But nothing would stop me from going out as planned to do 13.1 dedicated to the memory of Meg Menzies, who was killed by a drunk driver last week on her morning run.

I didn’t know Meg personally, but I do know we had a couple things in common: a shared love of family and our sport. She was only a year younger than me and also a mom. My heart is broken for the husband and children she left behind.

The run felt amazing, evenly paced, and I was so energetic the whole time. At around mile 11 I knew I was headed for a new personal best and I was so glad to be achieving that on my run for Meg. As I finished up, the sun was shining in the most beautiful way and I was overwhelmed with emotion. I ugly cried my way back up the hill to my house and enveloped my daughter in a sweaty hug as soon as I got inside.

megsmiles

A New Swimsuit

My other favorite sport to participate in besides running is shopping. I LOVE shopping (probably a little too much). Shopping for swimsuits, however…let’s just say that has been an almost guaranteed panic attack for my whole life. For this reason, I don’t do it often. In fact, before Saturday I hadn’t purchased a new suit in 5 years. I was way overdue. (Plus…going to Florida in a little more than 2 weeks! YAY!!!)

It was probably better that I had Betty with me in Target the other day because then I had an excuse to not try any on. I just picked one that I thought looked adorable on the rack, hoped it was my size, threw it in the cart, and figured I’d deal with it later. She needed to take a nap when we got home anyway so she wouldn’t see my uncontrollable sobbing if it didn’t work out.

bikini

SO CUTE RIGHT?? I have such a thing for stripes right now.

As you can see, the swimsuit is still in my possession and that’s because it fits. And I’m not going to post a photo of me wearing it on here, but let’s just say it fits WELL. I never in a million years expected to be able to rock a bikini again after being pregnant, but I am going to ROCK it. When I started running last year, I wasn’t doing it for weight loss, but that sure has been an awesome bonus. It kind of stinks that it took me 35 years to be really confident in how I look, but hey…at least it happened sometime and when it really counts too. I have a little girl looking up to me now and one of the things I want most for her in this world is good self esteem.

A New Bondi Band for One of YOU!

WE HAVE A WINNER! This super cute headband now belongs to….

bondiband

shayna

SHAYNA JORDAN PIERCE!!  Congratulations, lady! I really hope that you love the Bondi Band as much as I do. I just emailed you, so please let me know your info so I can get you your prize!!

And thank you to everyone who participated! I LOVE giving stuff away so stay tuned for more of that in the future. 🙂

I hope everyone had an amazing weekend.

Did you run for Meg this weekend? Do you love shopping? I’d love to hear about it!

~ Salt

11 thoughts on “A new PR, a new swimsuit, and a lucky someone wins a new Bondi Band!

That’s cool that you got to do that Meg’s run. I ran just a 5k with my dog. Legs aren’t quite back yet from the Dopey. Just need a little more rest!
    Oh, and nice time!!! And it wasn’t even a race! You’re going to crush it!

2. runcolbyrun says:

1. Nice time on Meg’s Half lady! I too ran for Meg on Saturday. 7 miles. And it was glorious.
    2. Lovin’ the suit! I too have a crazy thing for stripes right now. I’m glad it took you 35 years to appreciate and love your body. It took me 40. And now I’m finally comfortable in my own skin. Better late than never. To rocking a striped bikini at any age! Cheers!
    3. I am jealous of the chick who won. That band looks terrific. 🙂

3. onedreamymess says:

That suit is adorable! And way to go for running 13.1 & for a good cause as well 🙂

All I have wanted to do lately is go spend all my money on new clothes but thankfully I have resisted the urge so far! haha

Running for Meg was surprisingly moving … she is certainly not the only runner who has died, or the only tragic person lost to a drunk driver … but while out there on Saturday I was on a snowy day and was extra careful and couldn’t help but think about how quickly things can go wrong in these situations. My wife had a fall at work two weeks ago trying to plug something in when the access was high and the step stool failed. It was bumps and bruises, but could have been so much worse. It always makes us think!

Congrats on the bikini – I’m sure you will rock it, and excited and sure you will have a great trip!

It is funny how our body images change through the years … I’m not sure I’ll ever be ‘happy’, but I accept where I am!

5. Andrea says:

Congrats on your half PR! That’s an amazing time. I’ve cried at the end of almost every half that I’ve run. It’s just such an emotional experience when I think of how hard I’ve worked to get there and how lucky I am to be able to run.

Super cute suit! I was at Target this weekend and saw that they had stocked up. Hopefully that means summer will be here soon!

6. Change of Pace says:

Wow- way to run a PR on snowy streets during training! I also ran 13.1 for #megsmiles but was relegated to the treadmill due to pure ice on all the sidewalks!
    Adorable bikini- I also love stripes! I don’t love shopping but I do have a bathing suit shopping addiction! I try to limit myself so I don’t often look at them!
    I think you should most deifnitely proudly rock it on your trip!

I love that you refer to shopping as a sport 🙂 That’s what I’ll call that next time my husband asks me why I’m going out shopping – “Oh honey, I’m just doing a training workout…at the mall”.

8. Anita says:

Super cute stripes, I’ve been shopping for bathing suits online for our upcoming trip, it’s been almost 6 years since I bought one and I dread trying them on.

Amazing time on Meg’s half!