Look Ma! TWO hands!

Dancer’s pose (Natarajasana) is one of my favorites. I love the strength, flexibility, and balance that it involves and think it is one of the most aesthetically beautiful postures in all of yoga. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I have very good balance especially since I started running. My center of balance shifted as I lost weight/toned up and my core is the strongest it has ever been. Because of this, my Natarajasana has improved by leaps and bounds over the past year.

Yesterday I achieved my fullest expression yet, which for me meant that I was able to get my foot with both hands. In case you have no idea what I’m talking about, this is a variation of Dancer’s pose from last summer:

IMG_9263

I love the leg extension in this version, but notice that I’m only using one hand. I had absolutely no idea how to grab my foot with the other hand without falling over.

After a particularly good Tuesday speed workout on the treadmill I was playing around with some inversions and balancing poses in the gym studio. I went for the two handed Dancer and I can’t even tell you what I did differently this time, but I nailed it with the biggest ear-to-ear grin you have ever seen.  To prove to myself that it wasn’t a fluke, I did it again and it felt just as awesome. A guy who was working with some resistance bands near me must have thought it was awesome too because he started talking to me right after. I almost asked him to take my picture, but then decided that I didn’t want him to think I’m a total bonehead.

So instead I went back to the office and asked my coworker to take one for me. She already thinks I’m a bonehead and I needed photographic evidence.

yoga

I love those legwarmers so hard.

I can allllmost touch my toes to the back of my head too. Hooray for new goals to work toward!

toetouch

How’s your balance? If you do yoga, what is your favorite balancing pose? Do you love legwarmers?

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

~ Salt

26 thoughts on “Look Ma! TWO hands!

Very impressive – the Instagram makes more sense now! 🙂

I actually have really good balance – they had a test at the New York State Fair a few years ago that had you standing in a variety of positions and evaluated your stability and I was quite solid. (my poor wife fell over … )

As for leg warmers, I went to high school in the late 70s/early 80s, so …

Haha see!? There’s a point to everything I do! (Most of the time.)
      I would love to do a test like that just to see how well I do. Also I’m glad you have an appreciation for leg warmers. I try to bring the 80’s back in little ways every day.

• txa1265 says:

The good thing about being a guy is that some fashion things never change – I wore button-down shirts, polo shirts, khakis and jeans then … and pretty much the same things now. And pretty much every decade in between!

2. Carrie says:

You are incredible. I am so glad I found your page… blog, etc. This is a beautiful pose. I would give my right arm to do this! Diggin’ your Swirlgear (of course) AND I love your legwarmers!! I will admit, I am fan of them as well… Trust me, hey look much cooler on you, Yogi 😉 Swirl on ~ Carrie

3. Julia says:

You would laugh at me so hard if you saw me doing Yoga. I have zero balance. I’m the one hopping around, falling over, trying to get back into position, while everyone else is so gracefully holding each pose. I can only go up from here though, right?

Wow, I am impressed! Great job! My balance is horrible and so is my core, I’m working hard to get it strong though…maybe someday!

5. Tamina's Turn says:

Wow, you really nailed it– the pose looks beautiful. I don’t think I’ve ever actually tried the full expression like that — will definitely give it a go next time. Oh, and I have been sporting my leg warmers all week — it’s 10 degrees here!

6. Anita says:

I am sitting here in awe of your awesomeness! My yoga is still pretty basic but my balance and bendy-ness is much better than the Misters. I should really do it more often than I do.

7. Sugar Plum Runner says:

That is so awesome, and now I want to go try it. I’m so not flexible though and will probably hurt myself haha I used to by a flier in cheer leading and could do cool stuff and had pretty good balance, I have no idea now haha way to go, that looks so cool!

8. Sarah says:

I have always WANTED to learn to do yoga… but never actually done it. I have flirted with it and I know I like it, just never committed (omg I just realized I said the exact same thing about running a year ago…)

Maaaybe I should give it a shot? DH would kill me if I spent any more money on any more memberships anywhere, so a yoga studio is out of the question… do you have any good DVD suggestions???

9. Patty @ Reach Your Peak says:

hey! I found you through the SITS facebook 🙂
    I love love love your blog design. I am working on migrating to wordpress.org but have no idea how to redesign my blog ='(

I love those leg warmers! My balance is awful. Mainly on my left leg. Do you have a lululemon near you? They have free classes on Sundays, which is how I get my yoga in 🙂
    I also like YOGAMAZING..look him up on youtube!