A winter break!

One day at the end of last year before it started to get stupid cold outside, I was poring over my usual race listing websites in search of a half marathon. I’m not going to start really focusing on my full until March and wanted to find something that would keep me motivated through the the dreariest of months. Unfortunately around here winter races are slim pickings; there’s not a whole lot to choose from outside of cheeky “Baby it’s cold outside!” themed 5ks. So when I heard about the Moms RUN This Town winter virtual, I was all in. There’s even a medal involved and I adore everything about it right down to the Sailor Jerry-inspired tattoo font.

feature

Seriously nice job on these, MRRT. I can’t wait to see it in person!

This would be perfect. I signed myself up for the half marathon that would need to be completed at some point in the month of February and the knowledge that I have this coming up was definitely a little extra motivation to not sit around on my butt hooked up to a wine and pie IV during Christmastime.

Recently though, our weather has kind of tanked a little. As in this is shaping up to be a record-settingly chilly winter. Here is what’s happening outside RIGHT NOW:

ugh

My favorite part is where Weather.com has pointed out that this is “Very cold”. I had no idea that Captain Obvious was a meteorologist. I’m firmly in the “Ugh!” category and anyone that would cast their vote for “Love!” gets the big ol’ side-eye from me. I want to run this half marathon outside and February is historically just about as cold and often even more snowy than January around here. This seemed like such a great idea in November. What was I getting myself into?

Well I’m happy to report that all my worries are washed away. Sort of like the ocean washing sand away from the beach I will be sitting on in a little over 4 weeks.

map

I’m going to FLORIDA, y’all!!

I am so excited to be spending the second week of February in South Florida with my mom and daughter. It’s my first vacation since my trip to Northern California in 2011 when I was pregnant with Betty and it will be her first experience on a plane outside of my belly. She will be lap-riding which has the potential of going terribly awry, but hopefully I can distract her with enough snacks and episodes of Bubble Guppies on the iPad that it won’t be too painful. If not, I guess we will be one of those families you hear about on the news that got kicked off their flight.

And one of the best-of-alls is that I GET A BREAK FROM MISERABLE WINTER RUNNING! Yes I am yelling because I am absolutely that excited about it. I am actually going to be able to run around outside in shorts and obviously I will be completing my virtual half while I’m there. The timing could simply not be better. I’m ready for you, 80 degrees!

In fact, I think I’m probably going to have to run every day I’m there just because it would be a shame to waste it.

Do you have any upcoming vacation plans? Have you flown with a (very fidgety) toddler? Do you have any tips?

To be honest, I’m a little scared. Luckily planes have wine.

~ Salt

16 thoughts on “A winter break!

1. Andrea says:

So exciting that you have an upcoming trip to look forward to! I have friends going to Ft. Lauderdale the beginning of May and I’m try to decide whether or not to go.

2. michelle k says:

Oh I do have some travel tips!

Get two or three new, little toys. Wrap them and let Betty open them when she’s getting restless. Just make sure they are ready to go and have batteries or are out of box so she can play once she gets them open.

It usually bothers their ears when you’re ascending and descending. If you can get her to eat or drink during that time it may help.

If you are flying Southwest, look for a kid behaving worse than your own and sit near them. This wasn’t always the case, but now that I have an insane 20 month old boy, the sound of someone else’s kid losing their $#!* is sweet, sweet music to my ears. It’s actually calming to me and I breathe a sigh of relief as everyone else looks at ‘that kid’ instead of us.

Good luck on your flight and race!

Thank you so much, Michelle! These are all awesome suggestions. I’m not sure which airline we are flying (my mom booked the trip), but I love the idea of sitting near a noisier kid to take some of the heat off. Hopefully there won’t be any heat to take off, but as you know at this age you just never know. 🙂

ETA: Aaaand I just learned that we are in fact flying Southwest! I will definitely be using your advice!

Awesome! It’s not so bad to fly with a toddler. Unless of course your plane is delayed for 4 hours while you sit on the tarmac, then they start to cry. That had happened to me and the boy once.

Thank you! To say that I am excited is an understatement. I hope my daughter loves the beach as much as I do! (The first time we put her in sand, she was not very enthusiastic about it.)

4. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

my ex-sister-in-law (is that right?) traveled with my niece to Colorado last Christmas, she was about Betty’s age – she said the saving grace was having the video player. Unfortunately it was dead by the time they got on the flight BUT she said her daughter did great. I say take some of B’s favorite toys, and the videos, and make sure the iPad is fully charged – she will be fine. And hopefully you get a cool person to sit with that will instantly melt over her and make it more enjoyable for all of you.

Please soak up some rays for me! Enjoy your trip momma you deserve it!!!

I’ll be in Florida in February too! I’ll also be running a half (Disney Princess) but I’m kind of worried about my adjustment from this kind of weather to hot and humid weather! I’m crazy but I would rather run in cold weather (down to about 30 degrees) than 90 degree weather so I hope we don’t get a lot of super hot and humid days down there!

Awesome! I got a trip to San Diego last winter at just the right time and it was amazing!

As for your daughter, kids are always a wild card, so pack what you can … our boys were older on their first flight (also to Florida) and because it was pre-9/11 restrictions were much looser. But distractions is the name of the game – books, toys, etc.

And I agree with Kelly that your seat mate can make a huge difference, and the trend isn’t good – last year I was some huge hero because I offered to switch seats so a young couple could sit together ,..

7. Anita says:

I am so sick of the cold too and can’t wait to get to Cuba at the end of the month to run in some sunshine.

I have flown with toddlers and while it can feel overwhelming it can be pretty smooth. I would pack a little gift bag with small toys/treats/books from the dollar store and give it to them after take-off but this was pre 911 so I’m not sure what the regulations will be like for you taking a gift bag on the plane. Do you know if Betty suffers from motion sickness? My husband and oldest do so I always had Gravol in hand just in case along with a decongestant for relieving ear pressure.