Helly & Salt Present the Streak Week 3 Recap!

It’s time for another Streaking Party! Link up with Helly and me as we take on another week of the Streak!

streak

Week 3 of the Runner’s World Holiday Run Streak is behind us and I feel like the time is FLYING by! All the fearful feelings that I had in the beginning about running every day now seem a little silly. I’m having a blast with this and I hope you are too!

Today marks my 26th day straight of running. I told my coworker this and she looked at me like I had three heads, which of course makes me feel extra proud of my accomplishment. Here’s a little recap of my past week:

• December 12: I must be smoking crack because running on the trail sounds like a super doable thing. I waste most of my lunch break driving to the trail, getting out of the car, seeing that the trail is a sheet of ice several inches thick, getting back in my car, and then driving all the way back to the gym. I end up running 5 miles on the treadmill, but seriously what was I thinking a trail would look like after all that bad weather we just got? Duh.
  • December 13: SKINNY JEANS 1-MILER! I pop by the gym right after a work lunch, don’t even bother changing my clothes, and learn that I can run an 8-minute mile while wearing very unforgiving pants. People probably sneak cell phone photos of me looking like a total moron. Maybe I’m on a website somewhere. #caringnotcaring
  • December 14: Quite possibly my favorite long run ever. I finally get back outside. It’s not too terribly cold, but it’s still snowy so everything looks super pretty, plus we have more snow in the forecast for that day so everything is quiet and peaceful the way it gets before a storm. It is early enough that I can run in the street and (mostly) avoid icy sidewalks. And I get to enjoy everyone’s beautiful holiday lights. In fact, it is so enjoyable that I don’t pay any mind to my watch the whole time and end up running 10 miles in just under 1:20 which is a new personal best for me.
  • December 15: I stop by the gym for 1 mile after the HARDEST YOGA CLASS OF MY LIFE. I’m so glad the person teaching the class was subbing for my regular instructor because I kind of wanted to smack her the whole time. She was just awful.
  • December 16: The wind chill is in the teens and I’m feeling like a big wuss so I run 7 miles on the treadmill. It is my longest treadmill run ever. Is that brag-worthy? Probably not.
  • December 17: Need for speed! 5 miles of speed work on the treadmill. Those 800m repeats are getting easier!
  • December 18: Cross train day in full effect! I run an easy mile, followed by 12 on the bike, and then hit up my aerial yoga class in the evening which leaves me super relaxed and at least an inch taller. I needed that!

Total Streak Mileage So Far: 103 miles and change (holy crap)

That brings us to today! I’m not even going to pretend like the trail is passable – plus I asked in one of my running groups yesterday if anyone had any info on it and was informed that it was painful even wearing Yaktrax – so I will be keeping my Streak alive with 5 miles on the pavement. We are expecting some VERY unseasonably warm weather the next few days (like 70’s on Sunday? WTF is that!?) so I’m hoping that will cause a massive melt and I can resume my normal outdoor running schedule. Fingers crossed!

Talk to me! Are you still going strong with your Streak?? Use the linky tool below and join our Streaking Party!

Click here to join the Streak Party with Helly & Salt!

18 thoughts on “Helly & Salt Present the Streak Week 3 Recap!

1. runawaybridalplanner says:

70’s would be fabulous, what great winter running weather! We finally warmed up yesterday to 36 and I was loving it:) More so because a warm up meant lots of snow is on the way:), I take what I can get, we won’t see 70’s again here until April or May next year:) Keep up with your great streak!!!

Thank you so much! My Garmin said that it was 36 just now when I went for my ‘runch’ but there is no way. I had too many layers on! It was still so nice to get outside though. I’m definitely looking forward to mid-50’s for my long run on Saturday morning!

2. onedreamymess says:

This is awesome! A running streak is such a good idea – its so hard to get to the gym everyday and impossible to get outside since I live in South Dakota but knowing that you have to get a run in each day would be motivation enough to not slack. I am really intrigued to try this out1

DO IT!! It’s not too late! I’m so glad I made the decision to Streak through the holidays. In my line of work we go to TONS of parties and I over-indulge every year. I would probably feel like complete garbage every day if not for this run streak!

I feel like such a wuss ever complaining about the cold when you are from South Dakota. 🙂

3. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

Yeah, I’m not sure how I feel about the 60+ degree weather for my long run Saturday. I like nice weather, but it’s just a tease! Plus, I like my Christmases cold and snowy. No chance of that this year 🙂

I like my Christmas to be snowy too. That was such a nice surprise last year! I was just looking at the weather earlier today and yeah…nowhere close. Back in the 30’s though so at least that’s a little more normal!

Oh guys wear skinny jeans all the time! I’m not saying it’s a good thing…it just happens. 🙂 I hope it changes soon for you too! Did you check out that trail on your trip?

• Jesse - Questionably Texan says:

I actually canceled that trip because of the impending snow storm. I’m at BWI now, and planned on running the trail tomorrow morning, but i finished work early enough to catch a flight tonight. Next time i’m in town.

Congrats on your week! I am pretty excited about my long run this weekend because of how warm it’s going to be. Not as pretty as the snow, but that means the miles won’t be so hard or slow! Good luck with week #4!

5. ambertherunner says:

I love crazy looks from coworkers – it’s half the fun!
    And seriously – an 8 minute mile in skinny jeans is pretty badass.
    I’m pretty psyched for the weather this weekend – a nice little break after all the sudden snowstorms (so over snow!!)

I am so over it too and it’s not even winter! I have a feeling we are in for a lot this season, so I will take advantage of this while I can! I hope you have a great run this weekend!

Great job on the streak! I have been ‘re-tracking’my streak from last year using Timehop app on my phone. Today was Day 41 last year …really cool to see, and the app will take me back to the post so I can see all the great support from friends and family.

I never did the 1-mile thing, as I mentioned, so have no point of reference for the skinny jean run. But it is hilarious!:)