I fa-la-la-la-finally got to run in the snow!

Last week due to the inclement weather hits that just kept on coming, I ran inside. Monday through Friday I banished myself to the movie theater in my gym watching seasonally inappropriate horror movies as I cranked out my miles on the treadmill. I have no idea why they were showing so many horror movies right before Christmas, but it’s my favorite genre so I’m not complaining.

I feel like every runner I know loathes the treadmill except for me. They find it boring and tedious while I actually think the treadmill can be really fun and there are a lot of things I really like about it. The biggest one being speed control. I use the treadmill for most of my speed training as I don’t have access to a track. It’s also nice for recovery runs because the surface is easier on my legs. I like it for hill intervals. And also…the movie theater. I would probably dislike the treadmill a lot more if I couldn’t watch movies while I ran.

(It sounds like I go to a really fancy gym doesn’t it? I don’t. It’s just a cheap little gym that randomly happens to have a really rad movie theater in it.)

While it was nice to avoid the wintry conditions, running inside did make me a little sad. Could I have gone outside to run? Probably, but the sidewalks weren’t clear and I work in a city environment where getting hit by a car would be a very real concern if I ran in the street. So I was very excited to wake up early on Saturday morning to get my long run in outside, freezing temps and more snow in the forecast be damned. I planned a new route and set out at around 6:30 am while my family was still asleep. What I didn’t realize at that time was how much FUN running in the early morning during the holidays would be! CHRISTMAS LIGHTS EVERYWHERE!

snowrun

That big house up there? Yeah not mine. I was terrified that someone was going to see me taking that picture and think I was some kind of criminal. (I promise I’m not.) That was just one of so many beautifully decorated homes I saw. It seemed like everyone who had put lights up had them on. It was quiet and peaceful the way it always seems to get before it snows and I felt like I was the only person awake in the whole world. It was such a neat experience.

I had to traipse through the snow and ice a few times, but since it was early I could mostly run in the street. It was the first time I was able to break in my new shoes on pavement and it made me realize how badly needed those new shoes were!

Today the temperatures won’t climb out of the 20’s and I’m thinking my lunch run might be another movie date, which might make me a wuss. But I’m so glad I was finally able to get outside for that marvelous 10 miler on Saturday! I think I may need to do it again this weekend!

How do you feel about treadmill runs? Am I crazy for not hating them? Have you done a holiday lights tour on foot?

There is still a little bit of time to enter my iBodyFit giveaway (contest ends at midnight!) so if you haven’t entered yet and want to GO HERE!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

~ Salt

16 thoughts on “I fa-la-la-la-finally got to run in the snow!

1. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

I think the view looks awesome – I’d love to run through the cold and with the Christmas lights. I didn’t even think about the criminal aspect of taking the photo – until you said it, then I pictured you being like the Wet Bandits from Home Alone, casing the joint 😉

Neflix still has tons of horror movies on it as well I thought it was odd. Where is all the festive cheer?

I used to love running / walking / dancing on my dad’s treadmill. Yes, dancing. Well, more like sashaying? Anyhoo – I can’t compare it to outdoor, but I’d like to try 🙂

I am a crazy run-outside-in-anything person, and I really don’t like treadmills. Had to run one for a cardiac stress test a few months ago which confirmed my dislike.

But that is me – I love running before dawn, any weather, on roads … many people hate most of those! I think the most important thing is to find what works for you and stick with it. If that is treadmill runs – why feel the need to justify? They work for you – which is all that really matters!

I definitely prefer running on the road for sure and I love my pre-dawn runs on Saturday! I’m thinking I might need to get a pair of Yaktrax for my shoes. I would love to do more snow/ice runs but I think a lot of it is fear based. I don’t want to slip and break my head.

3. Kurtis says:

I’m right there with you on the treadmill. I think its one of the most under-appreciated parts of running. I find the control really helps you fine tune some of your training.

Yay for outdoor runs! I’ve been feeling the same way lately as you know, so I’m glad we were both able to go outside this weekend for our long runs! And I agree with you, running around and seeing all the Christmas lights is a super fun perk of holiday run streaking!

5. Diann says:

Your run sounds so fun!

We also had major snow yesterday from our Saturday snowstorm, but as it was a bizarre combination of salt, ice, and slush as it was starting to melt, snowplows flying around (while talking on their cells), I opted for the gym. Very envious of your movie selection! (I don’t like the tv screen right in front of my face–but would probably feel differently if I could watch a movie–and always opt for one of the two treadmills w/o a tv.)

Woah way to be super safe, snow plow drivers. Yikes! O_o
      I don’t like the treadmills with the TVs either because I feel like they are way too close to my face! The theater at my gym has a regular big screen projection so I can focus on it without feeling like I’m going to fall off. Fast and the Furious 6 was on today. Not my first choice, but definitely more interesting than running with nothing!

6. afastpacedlife says:

I wish I live somewhere where there were more holiday lights. I live in a neighborhood full of condo buildings, so the only lights I see are a few random lights that some residents put out on their balcony. Other than that, none at all.

7. Anita says:

What a pretty morning to head out for a run!

I like running on the treadmill for the same reasons but some days you just need to get outside. Our weather on the Island can be unpredictable one hour to the next, especially in the winter, so I have running mainly inside at home. I pull out the tablet and fire up Netflix for the long runs, tunes for the short.

8. Lindsey says:

I don’t really mind treadmill runs either! I like being able to control my speed because there are many times outside where I feel like I am running much faster than I actually am 😉

9. Change of Pace says:

Way to run; that was speedy, especially for being in the snow 🙂
    So cool you have a movie theatre at your gym! And funny that horror is your favourite genre! I’m such a wimp and get so scared I can’t sleep if I watch scary movies.
    I’m not a treadmill fan but am trying to use it more this year. I used to run outside when I really shouldn’t have like crazy ice.