Well it has been a full week since the official start of Runner’s World Holiday Run Streak (and it’s Day 11 for me) so I thought I’d make today – and every Wednesday until the end of this thing – a day to check in and discuss how everything is going. I’m a first-timer and had a few reservations in the beginning about how zero real rest days would impact my body, especially with several races – and like 9 holiday parties – sprinkled throughout my Streak. Like sprinkles on a delicious Christmas cookie. Mmmmmmmm.
Luckily I can report that SO FAR SO GOOD. Here’s a quick recap of the past week+:
- November 24: My Holiday Streak starts with the Zoo Zoom 8K (5 miles) and a PR on some nasty hills.
- November 25: Usually on Mondays I run a 10K outside on my lunch break. Due to the fact that I really pushed it to the limit on Sunday, I run my 10K as hill intervals on the treadmill at an easy pace.
- November 26: Tuesdays are my speed day. 5 miles of repeats on the treadmill.
- November 27: I decide to run a mile before my usual bike cross train because although the Streak officially starts the next day, I’ve already been running since Sunday so why stop now.
- November 28: Gobble Cobble 7K! 4 chilly, horrible miles. No shirt as a reward. Still bitter, party of me.
- November 29: Fridays are my rest day. In order to keep the Streak alive, I run a mile as laps around my parking lot while my daughter takes a nap. Whatever works.
- November 30: Saturdays are my long run. 10 cold, but glorious miles.
- December 1: 1 quick mile around my neighborhood before hot yoga class.
- December 2: 10K on my lunch break. New 5K and 10K PR! I hope I can run this same 5K pace on Sunday when it counts, but we are attending a holiday party the night before so never mind my delusions of grandeur.
- December 3: 5 miles of speed, including my first attempt at 800m intervals. Dry heaves ensue.
- December 4 (That would be today in case you have no concept of time): I haven’t run yet, but I will get a quick mile in before I hop on the bike again.
Total Streak Mileage So Far: 45 miles and change.
Overall I’m feeling strong and good about this. Last week I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it all the way until the end, but with every day that passes, I feel more capable. I already run 4 days a week so it was all about when to fit in those extra short runs on what would usually be a rest or cross train day. My biggest challenge will be closer to Christmas when I have a couple days off. The fact that I work allows me to get on the treadmill for a mile on Wednesdays and Fridays, and Sundays are fine because my husband is home. It will be more difficult when I am home with my toddler on week days while my husband works. I foresee some very early rising or some more running around the parking lot in my future. My neighbors probably think I’m out of my skull.
So I want to hear from YOU, my fellow Streakers! How is your Run Streak going? How are you feeling? Are you having as much fun with this as I am? Let’s keep each other motivated for the next month!
~ Salt (The Streaker!)